Thursday 3 June 2010

Day 47 Granja de Moreruela - Tabara

Today our 16 mile trek was by far the best in a long time.  We set off at 0600hrs with all our Xmas trees lit and were soon climbing among beautiful valleys.  We decided to follow the Orense route as previously planned.  


Two miles later we came across one of the most beautiful spots in the Camino so far, the River Esla which we crossed via the Quintos Bridge.  The scenery here was truly breathtaking and I'm not sure we were able to capture its beauty in our photos.  After crossing the bridge the path took us down towards the river through a very narrow and sometimes quite dangerous path - I'm sure it would not be allowed in the UK!


The way back to the top was equally hazardous but really worth the effort.  






After that the terrain levelled out and we walked cross-country to Faramontanos de Tabara, an additional 12 miles or so, where we had a much needed drink at the local bar.  Our path continued along a virtually straight path for another 5 or 6 miles.  It was hot and this path is known for how quiet and peaceful it is.  I asked Ana Maria if I could borrow her ipod shuffle, a present from Celine bought specially for this trip, to listen to some music, anything to distract me from the pain in my foot!




The second tune I heard was William playing Albeniz.  The sensation was magic -the peace of the setting, the clear blue skies, the sun beaming down on us, some large birds flying high above us and William's music.  


If there is a heaven I was very close to it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment