Tuesday 22 June 2010

Day 64 Resting in Santiago

POSTED ONE DAY LATE


As agreed I went to the local hospital this morning to have my foot checked out.  It’s all bad news, I’m afraid and the doctor there suggested I stop walking for some time.


The problem continues to be my old ailment “plantar fasciaities” which unfortunately has gotten much worse, due to the high amount of walking we have done and of course the weight we are carrying.

I was not entirely satisfied with the diagnosis so later today we went to see a private podiatrist for a second opinion.    She thought the condition would not improve unless I stopped walking for at least three months!
As you can imagine I have been feeling very depressed tonight and also my foot is hurting like hell after all the manipulation it received today! 


At noon we went to the Cathedral for the traditional "Misa de Peregrinos", which was a very nice service with the attendance of the Archbishop of Santiago and various clergy from all over Spain.  At the end the swinging of the "Botafumeiro" was as exciting as I remembered from our previous visits to the Cathedral!

Ana Maria and I were meant to have diner with Karl, Nina, Paolo, Giovanni and Davide but we have cried off.  I hope they understand that I would not be very good company tonight!


The only glimmer of hope is that if the pain recedes I am assured that continuing to walk will not damage the foot.  I am hoping that resting the foot for another couple of days might do the trick and we might then be able to carry on to Finisterre as planned.  Our plans to carry on to la Coruna are currently on ice.




We have decided to spend an extra day in Santiago and hope to start walking to Finisterre, all being well on Wednesday 23rd June.

1 comment:

  1. Marie and Edward22 June 2010 at 13:58

    Ooh Bobby, so sorry to hear about the problem with your foot. Not to be able to walk for 3MONTHS!!! Well as you say, if you rest up for a couple of days maybe you will be able to finish the walk. Infact we know you will finish the walk, no MAYBEs about it. A lot of resting up when you have finished.
    Keep smiling and praying and know our thoughts are with you both. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete